Beamline Scientist Soft Matter Interfaces (SMI)Job ID 2613 Date posted 04/28/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks a Beamline Scientist to carry out operation and user support at the Soft Matter Interfaces (SMI) beamline, a part of the Complex Scattering Program at NSLS-II. The SMI beamline features two instruments: the SMI-SWAXS endstation enables world leading capabilities in (GI)SAXS/WAXS and tender x-ray resonant scattering and the SMI-OPLS endstation supports state-of-the-art studies of liquid interfaces and medium scale, real-time processing. Science at the SMI-SWAXS endstation includes hierarchically structured and nanocomposite soft materials, micro and nano-fluids, polymer technology, liquid crystals, and biomaterials.
As a beamline scientist, the selected candidate will work closely with the SMI team, Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN) beamline partners, and other NSLS-II/BNL staff, and conduct a collaborative and independent science program. The selected candidate will be primarily assigned to support and develop the SMI-SWAXS endstation user program with a possibility to contribute to the activities at SMI-OPLS endstation. As a part of the ongoing efforts to develop a multi-modal user program at SMI, the successful candidate is expected to interface with the resonant soft x-ray scattering group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct user support at the SMI beamline.
- Perform independent research in soft matter.
- Participate in technical development of the SMI beamline.
- Perform experimental data treatment and processing as a part of the user support using Jupyter python environment.
- Advance tender x-rays user program at the SMI beamline.
- Support a multi-modal user program between SMI and other beamlines at NSLS-II using SMI’s core experimental capabilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in experimental physics or related field.
- Demonstrated publication record in soft-matter research based on synchrotron x-rays experiments.
- Experience in resonant scattering and related data analysis and modeling.
- Python programming experience.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience (at least one or more of the following):
- Tender and/or soft resonant x-ray synchrotron scattering measurements and related data analysis.
- GISAXS/GIWAXS and associated data analysis methods.
- In-situ synchrotron measurements under different sample environments
- Advanced Python programming with a proven track record of prior independent contributions to data analysis tools in an open-source collaborative environment.
- Candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table-Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now