Beamline Scientist Quick x-ray Absorption and Scattering (QAS) beamlineJob ID 3267 Date posted 07/05/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Hard X-ray Scattering & Spectroscopy (HXSS) program at Brookhaven Laboratory’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for studying complex and heterogeneous materials under in-situ and operando conditions. The program provides specialized spectroscopy, diffraction, and imaging x-ray tools, supported by computational resources for high-throughput analysis and modeling. One of the HXSS beamlines is 7-BM (Quick x-ray Absorption and Scattering, QAS) designed to enable in-situ studies of chemical and physical transformations by using separate and combined spectroscopy (XAS) and diffraction (XRD) techniques and by coupling XAS and IR spectroscopy (DRIFTS).
- support the high-volume user research programs at the QAS beamline.
- engage in internal and external scientific collaborations that leverage the unique capabilities of the NSLS-II.
- be involved in developing instrumentation with an emphasis on fast, in-situ and operando X-ray spectroscopy and diffraction.
- development of sample handling automation, design of complex operando experiments, and development of data analysis and processing protocols.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in physics, chemistry, materials science or a related field.
- At least two years of research experience after Ph.D. in high-impact experimental science using hard X-ray spectroscopy at a synchrotron radiation facility.
- Proven expertise using the XAS and XRD techniques, with a relevant publication record.
- Demonstrated aptitude in programming in Python or similar language.
- Expertise using X-ray spectral analysis and/or modelling.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- The ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in operating a synchrotron radiation beamline and user support.
- Hands-on experience in the design, installation, and commissioning of advanced scientific equipment in a laboratory or at a large-scale facility.
- At least six years of experience beyond PhD working in the field of synchrotron X-ray spectroscopy.
- Expertise in catalysis sciences and/or energy storage under in situ and operando conditions.
- Practical experience with X-ray optics and/or detectors.
- Experience with IR spectrometer (DRIFTS).
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- ability to speak; arm/hand dexterity; vision, good near and normal color; hear and understand speech; hear alarms; alertness; long or irregular hours; mental sharpness; physical coordination and balance.
Other Information: Candidate will be placed at the level commensurate with depth and breadth of experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now