Beam and Experimental Support Group SupervisorJob ID 1136 Date posted 10/11/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a Technical Supervisor for its Beam and Experimental Support Group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fabricate, test, install, operate and maintain scientific equipment for the AGS/RHIC Accelerator Complex
- Responsible for first-line supervision of a group of skilled technicians
- Work closely in a team environment to execute complex work with scientific staff, researchers, engineers, technicians in other groups, union craft workers, and safety and health personnel
- Supply technical information and assistance to other stakeholders in the department
- Work Control Coordinator to perform work planning
- Be available during non-scheduled hours as required to support AGS/RHIC operations
- Respond to emergency situations, alarms, or occurrences in a timely and appropriate manner
- Assign work and communicate work plans to qualified staff
- Monitor staff progress on assigned work and ensure that work, including radiological work, complies with work plan requirements
- The equivalence of a technical institute or associates degree in a related technical or scientific field
- Ten years of related experience in the fabrication and installation of a variety of complex mechanical devices. Examples of this work include prototype machine work, research facility operational experience, or custom precision machine fabrication.
- Demonstrated ability to plan complex work tasks involving multiple technical specialties
- Excellent communication skills interacting at multiple organizational levels including technical, scientific, engineering, administrative, support and safety and health
- Ability to read and interpret technical documentation such as machine and assembly instructions
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings
- Familiarity with and experienced in working in a radiation environment
- Knowledge of MS Office products
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with conventional and CNC machining
- PLC and industrial control applications and troubleshooting
- Pneumatic, hydraulic and compressed gas systems installation, maintenance and repair
- Experience with flammable gas systems maintenance and repair
- Knowledge of hoisting and rigging techniques
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor