Auto Truck MechanicJob ID 1896 Date posted 10/08/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under minimum supervision, performs required repairs, maintenance, servicing and incidental operation of gasoline, diesel engine, or propane/compressed natural gas (CNG) driven vehicles such as automobiles, trucks, trailers and material handling equipment.
- Performs all duties associated with the removal and installation of two-way radios, back-up sensing devices, upholstery repair, D/C power invertors, back-up cameras, and remote alarms.
- Performs limited welding, brazing and painting and other body and fender repair work to maintain vehicles in operating order.
- Uses and maintains all hand and portable tools, shop machines and equipment necessary to perform assigned work.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School or GED, or higher
- Experience with medium and heavy -duty vehicles (load luggers, front loading refuse trucks, fire/rescue, utility/line vehicles, et.al.)
- Air conditioning systems qualification
- Familiarity with installation and repair of special equipment such as hydraulic lift gates, police light bars, et al
- The ability to work 8-hour shift and extended hours if necessary
- Must possess a valid NYS Class A driver's license or Class B with the ability to obtain a Class A within 3 months of hire
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of compressed natural gas and bi-fuel vehicles
- CDL endorsements such as tanker, hazmat, and tow truck, or the ability to obtain and maintain the same as may be required
- Computer literate – Microsoft suite
- Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
- Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
- Must possess good writing skills
- Must be capable of following written instructions, procedures, work orders, and similar documents.
- Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
- Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
- Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
- Moderate to heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Continuous walking/standing
- Physical coordination & balance
- Frequent bending, twisting and crawling
- Physically demanding work
- Working heights >5 feet
- Good near & distance vision
- Driving lab vehicle, truck & heavy equipment
- Working outdoors
- Perform work in cold and hot conditions
- Powered hand tools/hand vibration
- Work around moving machinery
- Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes and hearing protection
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file