Auto Truck Mechanic (Term Appointment)Job ID 1646 Date posted 03/10/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Under minimum supervision, performs required repairs, maintenance, servicing and incidental operation of gasoline and diesel engine driven vehicles such as automobiles, trucks, and tractor trailers. Performs limited welding, brazing, and other body and fender repair work to maintain vehicles in safe operating order. Uses all hand and portable tools, air/electric, shop machines and equipment necessary to perform assigned work.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with medium- and heavy-duty, vehicles (load luggers, front loading refuse trucks, fire/rescue, utility/line vehicles, etc.).
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
- Air conditioning system qualification.
- Familiarity with installation and repair of special equipment such as hydraulic lift gates, police light bars, etc.
- Knowledge of compressed natural gas and bi-fuel vehicles a plus.
- Computer literate – MS Windows required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- CDL endorsements such as tanker, hazmat, and tow truck, or the ability to obtain and maintain the same as may be required.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
- Moderate to heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Physical Coordination
- Frequent bending, twisting and crawling
- Physically demanding work
- Working in confined spaces
- Wearing a respirator and PPE for long durations
- Perform work in cold and hot conditions
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor