Atmospheric ScientistJob ID 3712 Date posted 04/03/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Environmental & Climate Sciences Department (ECSD) (www.bnl.gov/envsci) at Brookhaven National Laboratory focuses on a wide range of theoretical, experimental, and field studies in support of the U.S. Department of Energy's climate and energy research agendas. Work is supported by the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) User Facility (www.arm.gov), an observations-based program that measures aerosols, clouds, precipitation, radiation, and atmospheric dynamics; the Atmospheric Systems Research Program (https://asr.science.energy.gov/), and the Environmental System Science Program (https://ess.science.energy.gov/). This work is pursued with the ultimate goal of improving predictability and reducing the uncertainty in global and regional climate models. The department research portfolio also includes development of environmental technologies and applications for renewable energies, urban science, and national security.
The ECSD has an opening for an Atmospheric Scientist with a focus on the use of observations for cloud process studies, high-resolution model evaluation and parameterization development. The successful candidate will join the Cloud Processes Group (https://www.bnl.gov/envsci/cloud/), recognized for its state-of-the-art observational and modeling studies of the microphysical and dynamical processes that impact the lifecycle of clouds, with the aim of improving their representation in earth system models and increase our ability to understand and project global change.
In this role you will work with and contribute leadership oversight among a team of scientists in the Environmental & Climate Sciences Department. This is an exciting, collaborative group that spearheads innovative cloud research using modeling, observations, theoretical development, and analysis methodologies for the study of cloud dynamical, microphysical, and radiative processes that impact cloud lifecycle, with a focus on aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions. The successful candidate will have a strong interest in the complementary and innovative use of observational datasets for the cloud process studies, particularly engaging in the use of the group’s state-of-the-art retrievals and observations. You will interact with faculty and students at neighboring Stony Brook University and will have a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community. Additionally, there will be opportunities to work on urban science through engagement with the Center for Multiscale Applied Sensing (CMAS; https://www.bnl.gov/cmas/).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Use and development of state-of-the-art observations to examine the microphysical, dynamical, and radiative processes that affect cloud lifecycle and aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions
- Complementary and innovative use of data from atmospheric observing systems towards model development, evaluation, and scientific discovery
- Contribute to leadership oversight within the Cloud Processes Group, guiding scientific direction in alignment with departmental, laboratory and DOE research initiatives
- Provide mentorship for group staff members and foster their professional development
- Publish and present research results at national and international venues
- Lead and participate in applications for funding opportunities
- Work and communicate effectively in a team-oriented environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D degree in meteorology, atmospheric science, or a closely related field
- At least six (6) years of full-time relevant experience post Ph.D
- Demonstrated experience in the use of atmospheric observations for the study of cloud processes
- Demonstrated experience in understanding processes that control clouds and/or aerosol-cloud-precipitation interactions
- Experience in a leadership role inclusive of supervising other scientists or team members
- Experience collaborating effectively in interdisciplinary teams, in both leadership and supporting roles
- Experience fostering the professional development of other scientists
- A record of publication in high-quality, internationally recognized journals
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication and strong collaborative skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience using atmospheric observations of cloud properties and processes for model development, evaluation, and scientific discovery
- Modeling or analysis of the urban boundary layer and/or land-atmosphere interactions
- Use and/or development of instrument simulators
- Application and development of machine learning techniques at the intersection of advancing physical models
- Review of applications begins immediately
- This is an on-site position eligible for consideration of flexible work arrangement (hybrid telework) at the discretion of the manager/dept chair
- The appointment will be under the direction of Dr. Michael Jensen
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.