Asst Staff SpecialistJob ID 1822 Date posted 07/12/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Environmental Protection Division carries the many functions that protect BNL's workers, visitors and the environment, and ensures Lab compliance with environmental laws and regulations.
The Waste Management Program (WMP) has an opening for an Assistant Staff Specialist who will assist the Transportation Safety Officer (TSO) in maintaining Brookhaven National Laboratory’s (BNL’s) Transportation Safety Documents (Hazardous Material Transportation Safety Manual) as required by DOE Order 460.1C, and the associated Program and Management System descriptions and Subject Areas. This position will report to the Waste Management Compliance Manager and will have a reporting relationship to the BNL TSO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Will support the BNL TSO in the following areas:
- Transportation Program Administration - Support the TSO in maintaining the Hazardous Materials Transportation Manual (HMTM), reviewing and interpreting regulations and other requirements so updates can be made to applicable BNL Subject Areas and other transportation documents, review and approval of Department/Division-specific procedures, maintain minimum transportation safety training and qualifications.
- Perform assessments, surveillances and assist line organizations - Perform surveillances of those groups moving hazardous materials on-site and keep the TSO informed of any transportation-related issues and/or concerns. Perform documented assessments of those groups responsible for shipping materials/waste off-site. Develop Transportation Safety Assessment Forms (TSAFs) for the line organizations and assist the line in maintaining compliance with BNL’s HMTM.
- Shipping Broker - Become qualified/maintain qualifications as a BNL Shipping Broker to effectively and compliantly make/support the shipment of Hazardous and Radioactive Materials.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor’s degree in a related science or business field or equivalent experience, based on 2:1 (experience: college) years. Demonstrated experience, showing progressively more complex roles/responsibilities in understanding, communicating and implementing regulatory requirements, which provides evidence of the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to successfully perform the duties of the position. In addition, candidates must be able to:
- Review, understand and interpret applicable Federal and State regulations
- Effectively utilize and be proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Communicate well in verbal and in written form
- Provide training/give presentations in small and large group settings
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with/knowledge of DOE Orders
- Experience or training in DOT emergency response requirements/practices (e.g. Emergency Response Guides)
- Knowledge, training or experience with Hazardous and/or Radioactive Materials in either industrial or laboratory settings
- Experience with servicing multiple organizations/clients/customers simultaneously
Environmental, Health and Safety Requirements:
- Any information pertaining to the environment, health or safety requirements for a position that will be considered when evaluating a candidate
- Essential functions from Job Assessment Form (JAF) such as: lifting of 30 pounds, successfully pass a stress test, climb a ladder, etc.
- Driver's license, use of private car, occasional travel. Occasional work off normal business hours (weekends, early and after hours).
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor