Associate Staff Engineer/Staff EngineerJob ID 1888 Date posted 09/12/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Access Controls Group in the Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for an Electrical Engineer to work with a variety of technologies ranging from PLC systems and software, relay logic systems, electronic circuit design, biometrics and gas sensor technologies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Electrical Engineer will design and develop prototype and special purpose equipment and systems used primarily for personnel protection safety systems. This will involve a variety of technologies ranging from modern Programmable Logic Controllers and software, legacy relay logic systems, biometrics, and various gas sensor technologies.
- Design upgrades to existing circuits.
- Coordinate and supervise installation and testing of new or modified circuits.
- Prepare job orders, requisitions, cost estimates.
- Prepare wire tables/coding sheets & rack profiles, and system descriptions from engineering drawings. Modify existing documentation.
- Coordinate work with other groups.
- Provide high-level technical service to analyze and solve complex system problems.
- Work with team to develop procedures and field-certify installed systems.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering or related field
- Use of CAD design tools for electronic design
- Knowledge of digital and analog electronic circuits
- Knowledge of circuit and system test instruments
- Working knowledge of fabrication and wiring techniques
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to support team with diverse skills and talents during all phases of construction, testing, repair and upgrade of existing equipment, and operations support
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering or related field
- 3 - 5 years’ relevant experience
- Prior experience with PL based safety systems
- PLC programming experience
- Rockwell Automation product experience
- Cable installation field experience
- Design and diagnostic experience with relay-based logic systems
- Must have a valid driver license
- Occasional domestic and/or international travel
- Ability to respond to off hour emergencies within 1 hour of call
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate engineering level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now