Associate Scientist Energy StorageJob ID 2900 Date posted 11/09/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Interdisciplinary Science Department is conducts leading-edge research into the most promising energy storage technologies for applications ranging from consumer electronics to vehicle technologies to grid-level energy storage. Our research spans from materials to systems. We have state of the art tools for advanced characterization and analysis ranging from the atomic level through the mesoscale to the functioning device.
The Interdisciplinary Science (IS) Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is seeking an Associate Scientist with a Chemistry background for a two-year appointment to perform research in the areas of electrochemistry and electrochemical energy storage.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Synthesis and characterization of mesoporous materials
- Preparation of oxide materials with size and morphology control
- Electrochemistry investigations including lithium and beyond-lithium systems
- Spectroscopic methods for characterization of energy storage materials and systems
- PhD and at least several years of related experience post PhD
- Knowledge of catalytic systems and processes
- Knowledge of manganese oxide synthesis, including morphology and compositional control
- Electrochemistry expertise including lithium nonaqueous and zinc aqueous systems
- Experience with mentoring student researchers
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in recycling approaches relevant to battery systems
- Knowledge of approaches for carbon material functionalization and structural control
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now