Associate Laboratory Director, Environmental Safety and HealthJob ID 3467 Date posted 11/02/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Reporting to the Laboratory Director provides leadership and oversight for the safe and environmentally-sound operation of the Laboratory site, which involves ~3,000 employees and ~5,000 acres. Directs the activities of and manages the Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Directorate providing overall leadership, strategic direction, personnel development, technical support and oversight to ensure full implementation of all Directorate responsibilities, accomplishment of all Directorate objectives, and satisfaction of all Directorate customers. Serves as steward for the Lab wide ES&H management systems and supports other Laboratory objectives. Participates as an active member of the BNL Leadership Team and key Laboratory councils and committees as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide institutional leadership for environmental stewardship and worker safety & health programs for the Laboratory.
- Lead the activities of the ES&H Directorate which includes providing strategic direction, development and implementation of the goals and objectives of the Directorate, including clear, measurable safety performance, operational excellence and improvement goals
- Work with senior management to develop and implement institution-wide Environmental Management and/or Safety strategies and initiatives
- Responsible for the optimal deployment of ES&H services across the laboratory to ensure full implementation of ES&H systems and requirements.
- Manage the organizational performance for a diverse technical directorate (130 employees), with a budget responsibility of $15-20M aimed to continuously improve the laboratory’s safety culture
- Establish collaborative relationships with other Laboratory business units as well as with the Department of Energy’s (DOE) Brookhaven Site Office, E-BHSO, the DOE Office of Science, Union staff and officers, external subcontractors, regulatory agencies, and peers and management of other National Labs
- Ensure customer satisfaction for the enabling services provided by the Directorate
- Manage organizational change and improvement efforts
- Serve as the BNL lead technical authority on radiation protection, nuclear safety and regulatory interpretation for ES&H requirements.
- Provide exceptional leadership and support for achieving solutions-oriented ES&H service delivery and training that enables the mission of the Laboratory.
- Partner and collaborate with DOE Site Office and external regulators (e.g., EPA, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, Suffolk County Department of Health Services) to address issues associated with BNL ES&H Plans and Program implementation.
- Serve as a key advocate for the development and execution of a strong Safety Culture Work Environment (SCWE) across BNL organizational boundaries.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related technical discipline plus a minimum 15 years of related experience in applicable positions with progressive managerial, leadership, and supervisory responsibilities
- Leadership in environmental safety and health management, facilities design, construction, facilities planning and operations in a DOE Office of Science Laboratory, or equivalent
- Proven leadership skills in team building, innovation, and personnel motivation to achieve significant goals for operational excellence and cost efficiency
- Professional and contemporary interpersonal, conflict resolution and communications skills
- Performance management, financial management, strategic planning, and decision-making skills
- Leadership and customer focus skills
- Strategic view and an ability to develop, articulate, and achieve vision
- Demonstrated ability to manage results in a strong matrix environment
- Successful leadership of a large and diverse employee population
- Experience with implementation and registration of recognized national voluntary standards (e.g. OSHA VPP, ISO 14000/14001, OHSAS 18000/18001, or Responsible Care), preferably within a research environment.
- Experience working with regulatory agencies such as NYS (or other), EPA, and OSHA required.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Professional certifications in safety or operational areas
- Experience working in a nuclear-facility environment (e.g., commercial nuclear power, and/or DOE involving Hazard Category I, II or III facilities).
- Department of Energy Experience
- Occasional travel is required
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE security clearance
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now