Assistant Scientist in Machine LearningJob ID 981 Date posted 03/06/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Building on its capabilities in computational science and data management, the Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Brookhaven National Laboratory was established to integrate and leverage computer science, computational science and applied mathematics expertise and investments across multiple programs at the Laboratory. In providing leading computational and data science solutions for BNL’s flagship facilities – RHIC, LHC Atlas US Tier One Center, NSLS II, CFN —CSI is confirming Brookhaven as a leader in tackling the "big data" challenges at the frontiers of scientific discovery. CSI’s mission is to provide ‘Leadership in Data Driven Discovery’. We are pursuing this mission by engaging in research into novel approaches and methods throughout the software stack to create high performance analysis and interpretation capabilities for experimental, observational and computational data, the provision of data management and analysis facilities, and the practical application of these resources to critical domain science challenges.
An assistant scientist position is available immediately in Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory. The successful candidate will conduct machine learning research on spatio-temporal data analysis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research, design and implement novel, highly scalable Deep Learning (DL) algorithms with focus on spatio-temporal data analysis tasks such as climate, high energy physics, etc.
- Strategy development for the field of DL with focus on our lab’s applications, support in strategic decision making with regard to various science problem.
- Promote the research results through scholarly publications and presentations at leading conferences
- Lead or participate in the development of related research proposals.
- Promote collaborative research with interdisciplinary research team.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math or related discipline
- DL research experience with large data sets in academia or industry.
- Familiarity with deep learning libraries (Theano, Torch, Caffe, TensorFlow, etc.)
- Strong track records of publication in top tier conferences / journals.
- Good oral and written communication and teamwork skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (bulleted)
- Worked with general ML libraries and toolkits
- Experience with Recurrent Neural Networks and Deep Generative models
- Experience working in multidisciplinary scientific collaboration
- Experience with accelerators (GPU, Intel Xeon Phi) and high performance computing systems
- Track record of producing high quality software on schedule
- The ability to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” security clearance would be advantageous.
- Moderate domestic and foreign travel
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor