Assistant Director, Accelerator/Laser ScientistJob ID 1840 Date posted 08/26/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks an accelerator OR laser scientist with a distinguished record of research to serve as the Accelerator Test Facility Associate Director to help support and direct the scientific and user mission of the ATF. The Associate Director will play a central role in defining the scientific vision for the facility, oversee user operations at the facility, serve as an interface to the advanced accelerator and laser communities, and contribute to the facility’s research and development efforts. The selected candidate will also be expected to participate in the broader accelerator science and technology efforts at the laboratory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Work closely with the ATF Director and Facility Scientist to:
- Develop and maintain a compelling scientific vision and program for the facility
- Organize and execute the ATF user program that adheres to the laboratory’s ESH and DOE’s Accelerator Conduct of Operations policies
- Coordinate ongoing facility upgrades
- Attract, retain and foster the development of a team of advanced accelerator and laser experts to ensure delivery of a world-class user program
- Support collaborative research efforts in advanced accelerator and laser technology within the laboratory and with outside collaborators
- Communicate the facility’s science vision, research efforts, and operating model to a broad group of stakeholders including BNL management, the Department of Energy, the advanced accelerator community, and the ATF’s advisory committees
- Ph.D. degree in Physics or related discipline, with a concentration in lasers or beam physics.
- A minimum of three (3) years post, post doc experience working in an experimental laboratory.
- A significant record of research and publications pertaining to laser and/or particle accelerator systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build collegial relationships and collaborate with all levels of staff within the Laboratory in particular with the Senior Leadership.
- Strong decision-making, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Familiarity with DOE programs and/or DOE Office of Science National Laboratories or other Federal entities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience managing DOE-funded programs or projects
- An internationally recognized research program having significant overlap with one or more of the ATF research capabilities
- Moderate domestic and international travel.
- This is a three (3) year term position that offers a comprehensive benefits package.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file