Assistant Business SpecialistJob ID 1395 Date posted 08/09/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Business Services Directorate provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by Chief Financial Officer George Clark, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division, the Procurement & Property Management Division as well as five Business Offices serving three scientific Directorates and Laboratory wide support organizations. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $600 million annual budget.
As a member of the Nuclear and Particle Physics (NPP) Business Office, the successful candidate is a business professional that will perform a wide variety of financial functions, including budget, analysis, and financial reporting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide financial support, monitoring and oversight for indirect projects
- Prepare and monitor budgets, expenses and commitments for assigned programs
- Prepare current year cost plans including detailed labor plans for the indirect projects
- Generate monthly reports for distribution or website publication
- Prepare cost estimates in support of both internally and externally funded proposals
- Provide financial support for other funded programs within the Directorate as needed
- Participate in the development of procedural improvements and problem resolution as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance/business or equivalent experience generally based on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college)
- Two years of related work experience
- Proficient skill level in Microsoft Office products with intermediate to advanced proficiency in Excel and experience managing and manipulating large databases.
- Ability to review financial data and prepare meaningful financial reports
- Ability to work independently, establish own goals (with supervisory approval), and apply independent judgement, within policies and standards, to complete projects and administer process.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships at all levels
- Flexible team player who is able to interact with scientific and business staff to accomplish objectives and resolve issues
- Ability to prioritize and effectively deal with deadlines
- Ability to identify and resolve problems within own area of responsibility
- Ability to identify organizational resources and seek assistance when needed
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Must be self-motivated, resourceful and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interest in science mission of the Laboratory
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft and the ability to generate queries and reports
- Experience with the overall proposal process, including Call and budget requirements
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
Paid Parental Leave
Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor