ASIC Design Engineer (multiple positions/levels)Job ID 2965 Date posted 06/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
Are you interested in putting your skills in action and thrive in a technology-driven, team environment? If yes, then BNL is where you want to be!
We seek experienced ASIC Design Engineers to join our Instrumentation Division. We look for candidates interested in a broad range of ASIC design subjects from base-band analog, RF, digital, data converters, data transmission and sensors. You will work in a diverse, multi-disciplinary group of scientists, engineers, and other technical team members on our ASIC team. You will have an opportunity to carry out R&D and design, develop and build analog, digital, and mixed-mode application specific integrated circuits for instruments developed for BNL and our institutional partners.
Our science and engineering challenges are complex and unique! We are engaged in the development of ASICs for particle detectors, high resolution X- and gamma-ray spectrometers, and high-rate photon counters and imagers. Our ASIC’s work is in extreme environments of cryogenic temperatures or withstanding extreme irradiation doses. Quantum Information Science, Machine Learning and Neuromorphic processing are where our R&D efforts go. The application and implementation of our hardware is within BNL and other international user facilities. Your work has the potential to shape the instruments for scientific discovery and engineering advancements across the globe!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As a member of the ASIC team, you will:
- Carry-out design of analog, digital or mixed-mode (i.e. analog-digital) ASICs for instruments developed by BNL’s Instrumentation Division
- Design circuit networks, using schematic entry and layout tools with full-custom or timing-driven layout tools in Cadence or similar CAD/EDA environment
- Collaborate to develop models of circuit networks and system components in hardware description languages specific for analog or digital modeling (Verilog-A and Verilog/SystemVerilog) towards synthesis with time-enclosed place and route and embedment of analog blocks into digital structures
- Perform full-custom or automated, from RTL code, physical ASIC design implementation
- Build analog or digital test-benches and carryi-out mixed analog and digital circuit simulations
- Execute physical and functional circuit and system verification
- Develop design specifications based on theoretical analyses and in conjunction with application needs
- Prepare technical documentation and carry-out test-board designs and laboratory testing
- Participate in codesigning of ASICs and sensors with Technology CAD tools, collaborating and brainstorming ideas for progression in machine learning, artificial intelligence, quantum science
- Have an opportunity of being involved in modeling and physical simulations of active circuit components and contribute to new project initiatives and develop proposals
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Three or more years related work experience
- Familiarity with specificity of ASIC design processes and flows
- Familiarity with CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design and their interoperability
- Ability to work with diverse group members in a multi-user process and design managed environment and be ready to step up to challenges
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (MSc) in an engineering, physical sciences discipline, or closely related field of study
- Ability to execute analog and/or digital ASIC design flows for performing design tasks
- Knowledge of readout integrated circuits for radiation sensors, including signal processing, signal filtering, signal conversion, data transmission, high speed electronics
- Ability of working with SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA and Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax as well as operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages (e.g. Pearl, Python)
- Knowledge of front-end and back-end ASIC design elements, such as layout, physical verification, and design verification
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills and experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now