ASIC Design Engineer CAD ManagementJob ID 3269 Date posted 07/08/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
Are you someone who steps up to challenges and thrives on group project work in a technology R&D environment?
As an ASIC Design Engineer - CAD Management, you will build and maintain the design infrastructure, provide tool support and training, and serve as the custodial of the CAD/EAD tools for our ASIC team. You will collaborate closely with scientists, engineers, technicians and information technology experts on complex, meaningful projects for the Lab and our institutional partners. You will also be contributing to multiple ASIC designs.
Our science and engineering challenges are complex and unique! We are engaged in the development of ASICs for particle detectors, high resolution X- and gamma-ray spectrometers, and high-rate photon counters and imagers. Our ASIC’s work is in extreme environments of cryogenic temperatures or withstanding extreme irradiation doses. Quantum Information Science, Machine Learning and Neuromorphic processing are where our R&D efforts go. The application and implementation of our hardware is within BNL and other international user facilities. Your work has the potential to shape the instruments for scientific discovery and engineering advancements across the globe!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain design environment to support operation of the ASIC development team at BNL through:
- maintaining up-to-date organization of the pool of CAD/EDA ASIC design tools, process design kits, version-controlled repositories of design libraries, IP and outside-vendor libraries and their maintenance suitably for the current needs
- working with the IT and security teams’ Linux-based cluster and its configuration for installation and maintenance of CAD/EDA design tools from major vendors, such as Cadence, Mentor, Synopsis,
- integration of the designs in multi-user environment via process and design management tools, such as SOS Design Manager
- organization of work directories, system shell scripts, tool scripts, physical and functional design verification decks, solutions for tools interoperability, procedures for efficient and secure organization of the design flows
- set-up and maintenance of environments for Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning modeling, simulations (such as PyTorch, TensorFlow and others) and integration with digital and mixed-mode IC design flows
- set-up and maintenance of other ECAD tools supporting ASIC design efforts, such as physical-level device simulations, model extraction, calculus, and data presentation
- Interact with major vendors for providing optimized tools-set for the team; organize tools, process design kits, design techniques workshops and trainings, and introduction and monitoring of standardized design practices
- Participate in ASIC designs (analog, digital and mixed-mode, functional verification, etc.), upon qualifications and as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Minimum three (3) years related work experience
- Familiarity with specificity of ASIC design processes and flows
- Familiarity with CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design and their interoperability
- Knowledge of operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages, such as Pearl, Python, and others
- Knowledge of SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA and Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- Ability to execute analog and/or digital ASIC design flows for performing design tasks
- Knowledge of back-end ASIC design elements, such as layout, physical verification, and design verification
- Ability to provide guidance in specific areas to the ASIC team
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Most work will be performed at personal computer workstation
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now