Architect/Civil EngineerJob ID 1320 Date posted 05/18/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) is seeking an experienced Architect or Civil Engineer with a minimum of 3 years of design/construction experience in commercial and institutional building applications. A bachelor’s degree in Architecture or a degree in Civil engineering is required.
The individual must be experienced with the AE design process and development of detailed specifications leading to construction documents. The individual will work with other engineers, project managers and construction personnel. The position includes daily inspections and technical oversight and support during construction and performing local job site surveys to assess and document existing conditions and gather field information and measurement to support the design process and installation. The individual should be well-versed in applicablebuilding codes with strong knowledge of building technology, construction techniques, related engineering principles, sustainability strategies, building codes, and assembly of construction drawing sets.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees project implementation and execution through completion of construction.
- Manages small to medium size projects including design, bidding, and construction management.
- Develops or assists in developing project budget including development of cost estimates.
- Manage or assists in managing project budgets for and project monthly forecasts to complete.
- Assists in or may be responsible for project scheduling, coordination and project decisions.
- Provides appropriate level of on-site supervision (at BNL) to ensure project performance criteria are being met.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor Degree from an accredited institution in Architecture or Civil Engineering or closely related field
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience
- Proficiency with using AutoCAD.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office products Firm knowledge of construction and architecture.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and time management skills
- Design and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to model drawings in Revit.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate technical level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor