Applied Post-Doc for ATLAS Silicon DetectorJob ID 3696 Date posted 03/27/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Omega Group in the Physics Department at BNL focuses on the ATLAS experiment at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland. We have a strong physics program concentrated on measurements of Standard Model processes (Electroweak, Higgs, QCD) and on searches for new physical phenomena (involving Higgs, dark matter, supersymmetry, and exotics). The Omega Group has major responsibilities in the operation of the ATLAS Liquid Argon calorimeter, Trigger/Data Acquisition, and software development, and has leading roles in the ATLAS HL-LHC upgrade (Silicon Strip detector, Liquid Argon calorimeter, and Trigger/Data Acquisition). The group also has strong detector R&D programs on silicon detectors and in Trigger/Data Acquisition. BNL serves as the host laboratory for the U.S. ATLAS Operations Program, the U.S. ATLAS HL-LHC Upgrade Project, the ATLAS Tier-1 computing facility, and is an active U.S. ATLAS Center.
The Omega Group in the Physics Department has an opening for an applied postdoc to contribute to the construction of the silicon strip detector, ITk, for the ATLAS HL-LHC Upgrade. The successful applicant is expected to take a leading role in the production of staves for the barrel ITk strip system in the quality control assessment and participate in the most technically demanding aspects of the ITk strip barrel construction. This work will be undertaken in two cleanroom facilities at BNL, and will include electrical and data acquisition testing of staves, operation of high-precision assembly systems, optical and laser metrology systems, test results analysis, uploading of test results to a database and bookkeeping. Contributions to detector integration, installation, and commissioning activities are foreseen. The successful applicant will join a team of physicists, engineers, postdocs, students, and technicians. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to construction, testing, and data quality assessment of a large silicon-strip tracking detector for the ATLAS HL-LHC Upgrade (ITk)
- ​​Troubleshoot and solve technical, logistical, organizational, and software-related problems
- Communicate effectively with the ITk team at BNL as well as national and international ITk collaborators in ATLAS
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in experimental particle, nuclear or applied physics, or in a related engineering discipline
- Experience with detector testing, construction, commissioning, operations or R&D
- Experience in programming (e.g. Python, C++) and operating Linux and Windows OS
- Good organizational and team-working skills
- Ability to work in a large international collaboration
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability for disseminating research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with silicon detector testing, construction, commissioning, operations and/or R&D
- Experience with data acquisition systems and detector electronics
- Experience interfacing with databases
- Experience working in collaboration with technicians and engineers
- Experience with data analysis and knowledge of statistical techniques for data analysis
- This is a fully onsite position based at BNL
- Domestic and international travel should be expected
- Initial 2-year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding.
- This position will be under the direction of Dr. Michael Begel
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
Please express your interest via electronic application including cover letter, CV, and a Statement of Interest as Word documents or PDF.
Please arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to physicsLOR@bnl.gov with a subject line referring to this job posting (Req# 3696) and cc: to Michael Begel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The application is complete when all of these items have been received.
Consideration of applications will begin April 15, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.