Analytical Chemistry ResearcherJob ID 2450 Date posted 11/30/2020
The Energy-Environment Measurement Technologies (EEMT) group was created within the department to coordinate several research efforts that are fundamentally based in advanced and innovative measurement technologies. The primary measurement technique that drives BNL’s contributions to the studies of dispersion in urban environments, air quality, pollutant tracking, and building infiltration is the ultrahigh-resolution perfluorocarbon tracer gas chromatograph (PFT-GC) designed, built, and operated by BNL personnel. Perfluorocarbons are safe and non-toxic materials and their concentrations in the environment are extremely low, making them ideally suited as tracer gases. BNL’s detection limit for PFTs (parts per quadrillion) is unique in the world and the technique is proprietary, providing a niche for BNL in this area of applied research and operations.
- Use scientific expertise to support Tracer laboratory including instrument operation, maintenance and to monitor data quality
- Conduct independent research of high scientific value in atmospheric and urban transport chemistry suitable for publication in leading journals; this may involve off-site work for field testing and campaigns.
- Publish scientific research in peer-reviewed journals.
- Present at national and international conferences.
- Actively participate in and contribute to program development and other aspects of the department.
- Support ongoing field operations by providing analysis of PFTs, visit field sites as necessary for installation, calibration, and maintenance of instruments. This may include domestic and/or foreign travel.
- Perform field work in remote locations.
- Work involves moderate lifting and strenuous activities.
- Ph.D. in the atmospheric sciences, analytical or environmental chemistry, or a related field
- Knowledgeable in analytical chemistry
- Experience with gas chromatography and fundamental knowledge of the measurement principles
- Ability to pursue independent research
- Demonstrated publication record in peer-reviewed journals
- Clear and concise oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work well in a diverse team across cultures, language skills, and experiences
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Postdoctoral experience, preferably in a related area
- Experience with data analysis programs and QA/QC for gas chromatography at or near the limits of detection
- Experience working on field campaigns, including measurement planning, running, and troubleshooting instruments in the field, and verifying/documenting data quality
- Experience with other ambient trace-gas monitoring techniques
- Competent with Microsoft Excel and macro programming
- Proficient in LabVIEW software and/or C++, python
Environment, Safety & Health, and other information:
- Ability to work in tight spaces; routinely lift more than 30 pounds
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Initial 2 year term appointment is subject to renewal contingent on satisfactory performance and funding
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now