Advanced Technology Engineer/Senior Technology EngineerJob ID 1951 Date posted 11/20/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) group is to provide computational support for BNL scientific programs.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 125 PB of archived data, the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at BNL hosts the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. In contrast to many others, this is an active archive were we continuously reuse all the data in the archive. In 2017 we analyzed 500PB of data on site. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as: the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. As a result we have a lively, fast growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation and use of data at extreme scales and in real time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/ [www.bnl.gov]) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
The SDCC is currently looking for an Advanced Technology Engineer to contribute to ATLAS computing support at the SDCC within the NPP Directorate.
Responsibilities include assisting with the operational responsibilities in the SDCC Services & Tools group, addressing user community requests for support, installing and upgrading hardware/software at the facility, participate in the evaluation, adoption and operation of new technologies and contribute to general operational readiness of the SDCC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist with operational responsibilities of the Service & Tools team and contribute to general operation readiness
- Operate Puppet/Cobbler for configuration management
- Deploy and operate Kubernettes for container orchestration
- Maintain Smtp/Imap/Webmail mail service
- Participate in enabling federated access to services & tools supported by the SDCC
- Configure web portals to access BNLBox and Invenio
- Deploy Co-Manage and CILogon to support federated authentication
- Support the evaluation, adoption and operation of new technologies activities for ATLAS computing
- Evaluate Elastic Search, Kibana and Logstash for data analytics
- Integrate DCIM (Data Center Infrastructure Management) with facility monitoring services
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline or equivalent experience
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a large, robust technical environment
- Prior experience with Linux clusters and virtualization technologies
- Prior experience deploying and operating secure, Internet facing services
- Experience with high-availability computer and storage hardware in a data center environment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with modern techniques in web development and services
- Experience with data analytics tools such as Elastic Search, Kibana and Logstash
- Working knowledge of Perl/Python scripting languages and web-based programming languages
- Experience with basic user-facing services such as:
- Container orchestration via Kubernettes
- Email – SMTP/IMAP/Webmail servers (Postfix/Dovecot/Roundcube)
- Monitoring tools (SNMP, Cacti, Ganglia, Nagios, Grafana, etc)
- Databases systems (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Configuration management and version control software (Puppet, Cobbler, etc)
- Network access tools & protocols (GridFTP, Globus Online, Ssh, NX, VNC, etc)
- Willingness to perform physically demanding work occasionally
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a collaborative environment with time-sensitive deadlines
- Occasional travel (foreign and domestic) is required
- Assignment level will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now