Advanced/Senior Technology EngineerJob ID 2303 Date posted 11/12/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 150 PB of archived data, the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at BNL hosts the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. In contrast to many others, this is an active archive were we continuously reuse all the data in the archive. In 2018, we analyzed 500PB of data on site. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as: the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program.
The SDCC is currently looking for an Advanced/Senior Technology Engineer to contribute to mass storage support activities at the SDCC within the NPP Directorate. We have a lively, fast growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation and use of data at extreme scales and in real time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/ [www.bnl.gov]) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with operational responsibilities of the Mass Storage team with a focus on HPSS support and development
- Perform hardware/software deployments, upgrades, configuration, monitoring, management, performance tuning, and ongoing support of HPSS
- Develop and maintain software to ease operation and automation
- Support the evaluation, adoption and operation of new storage technologies activities
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline
- 5+ years’ of full-time relevant experience
- Prior experience with Linux system administration
- Prior experience with hierarchical mass storage systems (Oracle, IBM or SpectraLogic) tape storage systems
- Programming experience with C/C++, Python and Java
- Prior experience with tape storage technology deployment and operation
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with high-availability disk storage systems
- Advanced experience in storage system administration
- Experience with data analytics tools
- Experience with software version control and configuration management systems such as Git, Puppet, etc.
- Virtualization and container software (VMWare, RHEVM, Singularity, Docker, etc)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a collaborative environment with time-sensitive deadlines
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
Arm/hand dexterity, ability to lift 15-30lbs, good vision
- Occasional travel (foreign and domestic) is required (10-25% a year)
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now