Adv Technology EngineerJob ID 663 Date posted 04/14/2016
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Building on its capabilities in computational science and data management, the Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Brookhaven National Laboratory was established to integrate and leverage computer science, computational science and applied mathematics expertise and investments across multiple programs at the Laboratory. In providing leading computational and data science solutions for BNL’s flagship facilities – RHIC, LHC Atlas US Tier One Center, NSLS II, CFN —CSI is confirming Brookhaven as a leader in tackling the "big data" challenges at the frontiers of scientific discovery. CSI’s mission is to provide “Leadership in the hypothesis driven analysis and interpretation of large volumes, high velocity, heterogeneous data’. We are pursuing this mission by engaging in research into novel approaches and methods, the provision of data management and analysis facilities, and the practical application of these resources to domain science challenges.
The Computational Science Initiative is seeking a system administrator to support centralized high performance compute, network, and storage systems used by scientist at BNL’s research facilities. The job candidate is expected to be familiar with the design and operation of a centralized, shared data center that is used by thousands of users.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide system support for Linux (Red Hat/CentOS/Scientific Linux) based physical and virtual servers
- Manage multi petabyte scale data storage systems
- Support basic facility infrastructure services, e.g. file service, authentication/authorization service, backup service, monitoring.
- Work with application developers and administrators on the deployment and operation of services
- Participate in the planning, maintenance, and evolution of the data center
- Participate in the evaluation of new technologies to support the data processing and storage requirements of scientific researchers at BNL.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physical sciences, engineering, or computer science related fields
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Extensive knowledge of Red Hat (or derivative) Linux system administration
- Comprehensive knowledge of Linux virtualization technologies
- Demonstrated experience with different types of high performance and/or high capacity data storage systems.
- Experience with compute and storage hardware in a data center environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously on a daily basis in a collaborative environment with time sensitive deadlines.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Experience in more than one of the following areas/technologies, in descending priority order:
- Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, OpenStack, and libvirt virtualization environments
- Experience with scale out storage systems/technologies, e.g. GPFS, Lustre, Ceph, OpenStack Swift, HDFS
Experience with basic data center infrastructure services, including a subset of the following:
- DNS, NTP, OpenLDAP, Kerberos, and Active Directory
- Email - SMTP/IMAP/Webmail servers (Postfix/Dovecot/Roundcube)
- Monitoring - SNMP, Ganglia, Nagios, Cacti
- Databases – PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Web Services – Apache HTTP, Apache Tomcat, Shibboleth
- Network Access – GridFTP/Globus Online, Ssh, NX, VNC, RDP
- Backup Services – TSM, TiBS
- Cobbler and Puppet installation and configuration management
- Broad knowledge of diverse hardware and software components of compute clusters, web servers, database servers and computer networks.
- Experience with Grid (PKI) certificate based network services
- Experience deploying and operating secure, Internet facing servers,
- Knowledge of diverse network technologies, e.g. Infiniband, OmniPath, Fibre Channel, Ethernet, SAS.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor