Administrative Services AssistantJob ID 1235 Date posted 03/13/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a Full-Time Administrative Services Assistant to support the eRHIC Team and the Accelerator Test Facility (ATF).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support administrative lead for BNL’s electron ion collider (eRHIC) team, the Accelerator Test Facility (ATF) Operations, and the ATF-II Project Maintain calendars and distribution lists
- Schedule meetings
- Arrange foreign and domestic travel
- Maintain basic office organization
- Serve as the backup administrator for SharePoint, including the Document Management Center and Indico sites
- Provide support for conferences, reviews and meetings
- Process payments through PeopleSoft Financials
- Support the establishment of project cost and schedule baselines
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 4 years of relevant secretarial or office administration experience for contemporary workplace requirements (A bachelor’s degree in a business field with related coursework, or training, may offset qualifying experience on a basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years, as would an associate’s degree with a minimum of two years related experience
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Word, Outlook and SharePoint)
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Financials or similar Financial Management systems
- Ability to work independently and under pressure to handle routine and non-routine administrative matters
- Excellent organization, analytical and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of BNL policies and procedures
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Financials
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor