Administrative AssistantJob ID 3280 Date posted 07/01/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, Chief Financial Office, and the Business Operations Offices. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The mission of the Budget Office is to provide the Laboratory an efficient, cost-effective, and mission focused environment in which to accept funding and control costs within a total operating budget. The Budget Office ensures the laboratory’s financial policies, budget allocations, and distribution of costs maximizing mission performance. The responsibilities for this office include:
- Recommend and implement financial policy for the laboratory.
- Insure the proper distribution of costs in support of the missions of the laboratory.
- Interpret and implement Cost Accounting Standards (CAS).
- Prepare BNL’s CAS Disclosure Statement and ensure compliance with it.
- Develop and implement all indirect rates.
- Review and approve all standard rates and oversee for proper distribution.
- Receive and disburse all funds coming into the laboratory.
- Oversee execution of the Laboratory’s budget and funds control.
- Provide AD-Hoc, Classroom, and On-line Training.
- Budget formulation, planning and reporting in support of management decision making.
- Budget Systems development, maintenance and support.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) has an opening for an Administrative Assistant position within the Budget Office. The position is for a highly skilled and motivated individual contributor to the Budget Officer and Budget Office Staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibilities for this position are to perform complex and recurring administrative tasks.
- Generate, edit and distribution of documents and correspondence to internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate and implement the retention and filing of electronic and manual records/documents.
- Maintain the office supplies and copy machines maintenance.
- Convey information, schedule activities and relay messages to Budget Officer and Budget Office staff.
- Provide support for distributing funding guidance for signatures and processing to DOE.
- Prepare calendars and documents for annual budget submission.
- Update web page as needed and maintain SharePoint site(s).
- Provide support for all monthly reporting.
- Knowledge of BNL Policies and Procedures related to Budget Office responsibilities.
- Maintain all Budget Office calendars and coordinate / schedule meetings using Zoom, Teams, and Outlook.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least eight (8) years of experience, showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a relevant administrative role. (A bachelor’s degree in a business-related discipline, may offset qualifying experience on a basis of 2:1 (experience:college), as would an associate degree with a minimum of two (2) years related experience.)
- Proficient in web-based tools and all Microsoft applications.
- Be able to handle non-routine office matters.
- Must be highly efficient, well organized and have problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Can work independently and prioritize workload.
- Handle multiple and parallel projects.
- Ability to identify and resolve issues encountered within own area of responsibility, act proactively to develop solutions and provide recommendations to avoid problems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software products; DocuSign, Adobe Professional.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills; and attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; collaborative, team-orientation.
- Ability to exercise a considerable degree of initiative and judgment in a very complex budget and administrative environment and function.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and other MS Office products required, as well as Enterprise Resource Planning and systems.
- Agility with emerging technologies.
- Ability to handle deadlines and pressure situations.
- Professional and confidential manner.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with Peoplesoft Financials and Human Resources Systems.
- This position is eligible for telecommuting.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements including telework/hybrid model;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now