Administrative Assistant (One Year Term Appointment)Job ID 1913 Date posted 10/10/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) Internal Audit is to provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the organization’s operations. It helps the organization accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
The Internal Audit Department has an exciting new opportunity for an Administrative Assistant to join our small dynamic group. This position is prime for a fully engaged self-starter, able to work independently while managing evolving and often simultaneously competing tasks and priorities with minimal supervision and a high level of professionalism, discretion, and initiative. You will have diverse, complex, and competing responsibilities in support of the Internal Audit Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support in the preparation of audits and issuance of reports including formatting, proofreading, preparing cover memorandums, distribution, copying and filing.
- Use Laboratory PeopleSoft financial systems to prepare and process web requisitions, eProcurement orders, pay vouchers and other transactions
- Monitor and order supplies (web requisitions / E-buy, etc.)
- Manage software and equipment agreements and renewals
- Assist Director & Auditors in creating/maintaining IA Procedure Manual, Newsletters and website
- Records Management Representative – Maintain records and files, respond to reviews and requests from RM, archive files as needed
- Manage surveys performed
- Training Coordinator – monitor required certifications, training and track CPE credits
- Establish and maintain constructive and productive relationships with support functions
- Manage guests and visitors through the BNL Guest Information System (GIS)
- Schedule meetings using Outlook, reserve meeting rooms, and make related arrangements
- Register staff for conferences and assist with travel arrangements
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in a business field with coursework, or training, specifically related to the position requirements may offset qualifying experience on a basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years.
- Must demonstrate excellent training in office management and administration for contemporary workplace requirements, plus eight years of experience in substantive and relevant administrative, secretarial, clerical, or other responsible work which provides evidence of the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position.
- Skills and abilities should include: Time management and multi-tasking; organization and planning; verbal and written communication; information gathering and monitoring; problem analysis and problem-solving; judgment and decision-making ability, initiative, and confidentiality.
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, with knowledge of, or ability to learn, SharePoint; and proficient with PeopleSoft HR/PeopleSoft Financials, or similar Human Resource/Financial Management systems.
- Organize and prioritize work and successfully pursue objectives
- Demonstrate experience editing and formatting documents to help ensure ideas are presented in a clear, concise and quality manner.
- Must be able to work individually and as part of a team in a highly diverse environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a broad range of both BNL and departmental policies, practices, and administrative procedures (Guest Information System, Publications, ePro, eBuy, conference management, etc.).
- Previous work experience in an audit or internal audit
- Familiarity with Federal contracting environments, acquisition regulations, Federal travel regulations, PeopleSoft Financial Software, TeamMate audit software, and IIA standards are each considered desirable
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Preliminary training of Safety and Health Requirements will be provided. Navigation to some areas of the Laboratory may require specific training.
NOTE: This is a one (1) year term appointment. Renewal contingent on funding and performance.
At Brookhaven Lab, we believe comprehensive employee benefits are a meaningful part of employee compensation. Our benefits program includes:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site swimming pool, weight room tennis courts, and other employee benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file