Accelerator Systems EngineerJob ID 2165 Date posted 07/22/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department;of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
Tandem Van de Graaff (TVG) is one of the accelerator facilities in the C-AD complex. It provides about fifty ion species from protons to gold that are delivered with energies ranging from 0.8 MeV to 350 MeV. Ion beam intensities can be varied over many orders of magnitudes and accurately measured. Applications include radiation effects testing of microchips and solar cells for satellites, fabrication of ultra-fine filter materials for biology, medicine, and industry, ion implantation for the development of superior semiconductors, and calibration of space-flight instruments for NASA. In addition, ion beams can be provided for further acceleration by other C-AD accelerators. The facility consists of two model MP tandem accelerators, beam transport systems, two experimental areas and various vacuum chamber and dosimetry systems for irradiations.
The Accelerator Division within C-AD has an opening for an Accelerator Systems Engineer to play a leading role in the TVG Technical Support Team with the operations, maintenance, and upgrade of its component systems. This includes the design, construction and testing of new experimental equipment, large and small static and dynamic structures, high voltage and high current magnetic and electrostatic devices, RF components, lifting fixtures, water/air cooled systems, pressured gas handling and vacuum systems. Responsibilities will also include technical user support and the budgeting, planning, and scheduling of TVG delivered beam.
- Manage TVG accelerator systems operations, maintenance, repair, and upgrades and experimental user support.
- Lead the development of new systems for upgrades and obsolete equipment replacement by developing project plans including schedules, needed resources, and budgets.
- Develop components and component systems from initial concept through engineering analysis, detailed design, developing purchase specification and fabrication drawings, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning.
- Oversight and coordination of a variety of engineering and technical staff for design, fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment.
- Must have the ability to work independently and to interact with and report to senior engineering and scientific staff for assignments, guidance, and support.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate professional level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Marine Engineering or Physics.
- A minimum of ten (10) years, full-time, directly related, progressively responsible experience to include:
- Project development and management skills. Ability to positively interact and support customers (applications engineers and physicists), contractors, vendors, technical and engineering support staff, and procurement professionals.
- Experience with creative engineering projects, working hands on with technical equipment, and collaborating with a team to develop, build, and manage unique equipment.
- Experience with most if not all the following: high voltage and high power electrical and RF systems, high pressure gas systems, electro-magnets, high vacuum equipment, optical/laser systems, and beam instrumentation.
- Clear and concise written and oral communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office and MS Excel.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An MS degree in Engineering or Physics or other a closely related field.
- Experience with particle accelerator systems especially related to Tandem Van de Graaff or Pelletron accelerator operations, design, and maintenance.
- Familiarity with ASME/ASCE standards, building codes, NFPA and OSHA requirements.
- Professional Engineering license.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Individual must be able to climb ladders and/or work in Confined Spaces.
- Individual will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker.
- Individual will be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights or weekends as needed to support mission critical projects.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now