Accelerator Safety and Support EngineerJob ID 2794 Date posted 08/27/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The C-AD Accelerator Safety & Support Engineer will help develop and maintain engineered personnel protection programs for accelerator facility operations and research. In this role the candidate will be responsible for a variety of safety programs within the C-AD that are specific to the accelerator systems, equipment, and applications. The Accelerator Safety & Support Engineer will report to the Environmental, Safety, Security, Health & Quality (ESSHQ) Division Head. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide independent oversight of the C-AD Access Control System engineered interlock systems, such as review of state tables, test results and electrical schematics
- Serve as the C-AD Laser Safety Officer ensuring that C-AD laser systems are maintained according to SBMS and OSHA requirements
- Participate in safety reviews on the Accelerator Safety System Review Committee and the Experimental Safety Review Committee
- Participate on causal analysis teams, including investigating the concern, interviewing personnel, analyzing the root causes, and reporting the findings to C-AD management
- Assist with the preparation and updates to safety basis documentation for new and existing accelerator facilities in the C-AD complex (i.e., Environmental Assessments, Fire Hazards Analyses, Facility Risk Assessments, Job Risk Assessments and Laser SOPs)
- Maintain operational, industrial hygiene and industrial safety programs for standard industrial hazards
- Assist with writing, reviewing and revising C-AD procedures
- Perform independent verification of internally and externally driven corrective actions
- Support the BNL Radiological protection program through implementation of institutional and Departmental procedures, policies and work practices developed to keep dose to staff and the public ALARA
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study
- A minimum of 7 years’ full-time, directly related, progressively responsible experience
- Core skills include organizational and time management skills, ability to gather information and resourcefulness in resolving problems
- Ability to work independently, have the desire and ability to learn new systems, make informed decisions and regularly exercise a high degree of discretion and judgment
- Computing proficiency to include Microsoft Office Suite, with proficiency in use of Microsoft Word, spreadsheet development and database management
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams or projects across organizations
- Technically proficient in the areas of safety analysis, industrial safety and hazard identification
- Working knowledge and experience with electrical schematics, logic diagrams, and state tables
- Ability to effectively present on the results of measurements in the form of written reports and presentations
- Proven record of working with individuals of diverse technical and managerial responsibilities possessing strong interpersonal skills and confidence
- Clear and concise oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Qualified Laser Safety Officer (or must be able to become a qualified LSO)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s/Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Accelerator Physics or in closely related fields
- Related experience at accelerator facilities
- Knowledge and experience working within the DOE complex
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- The ability to perform field work within the C-AD complex, this requires the ability to walk distances in excess of ½ mile, climb vertical ladders, and the ability to be in areas of magnetic fields in excess of 5 gauss
- Valid Drivers’ License
OTHER INFORMATION: (add if applicable)
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now