Accelerator PhysicistJob ID 2626 Date posted 05/21/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The Electron Ion Collider Division is seeking an experienced Scientist in Accelerator Physics to assume responsibility developing beam polarization performance of the electron storage ring. This involves working on electron polarization theory and corresponding input to the design of the electron storage ring, simulations for verifying and optimizing the design parameters as well as development of procedures for tuning polarization experimentally. The workscope may also include corresponding polarization work for hadron beams. An important aspect of the position is that guidance and mentorship will be provided which will help less experienced staff develop this expertise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the designs of the electron storage rings and other rings to ensure good polarization performance.
- Develop realistic models of the electron storage ring and apply it to simulations of polarization performance. The model should include a full description of the beam dynamics relevant for beam polarization, errors and imperfections, correction schemes, operational procedures such as injection and other parameters relevant to design.
- Provide clear and detailed guidance to the lattice design team which will aid them in improving the design.
- Ensure the management team is fully informed of any relevant issue.s
- Participate in the assessment of proposed changes to the accelerators regarding high polarization performance.
- Guide and train scientists to be able to work autonomously on beam polarization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD in Physics or a related field
- At least 10 years experience in accelerator physics including machine design
- At least 10 years experience doing beam polarization calculations for an electron storage ring
- Skilled in numerical calculations of beam polarization
- A good publication record
- Good mathematical and problem solving skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A wide understanding of accelerator physics
- Familiarity with computer programming languages such as C++, PYTHON, or similar
- Experience with accelerator experiments and operations in general
- Experience in empirical tune up of polarization performance
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now