Accelerator PhysicistJob ID 1575 Date posted 01/03/2019
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator RF Group has an opening for a physicist to work in the RF Group on a broad range of challenging problems involving superconducting and normal conducting RF cavities and related structures (HOM Couplers and Absorbers, Fundamental Power Couplers, Wideband Pickups and Kickers, RF Power Amplifiers, Waveguides, RF Windows, etc.), SRF infrastructure and facilities, cavity-beam interactions and particle accelerator beam dynamics. The work supports the operation and upgrade of the accelerators at the Collider-Accelerator Department, ongoing commissioning of new accelerator systems and R&D toward future facilities.
- Ph.D. in Physics and a minimum of 10 years’ experience with RF and SRF systems for high energy particle accelerators
- A demonstrated record of refereed publications
- Hands on experience with testing, troubleshooting, commissioning and operation of RF systems for particle accelerators
- A thorough understanding of particle beam interactions with their environment, including RF cavities and other beamline structures
- Experience with 2D and 3D design, analysis and simulation of electromagnetic structures using modern software tools (e.g. CST Microwave Studio, ACE3P, ANYSYS, etc.)
- Experience in the design, optimization and construction of cryomodules for 2K and 4K SRF systems
- Experience in the design, optimization, and operation of cryogenic systems for 2K and 4K SRF systems
- Experience with SRF cavity post-processing and handling techniques required to achieve high Q0 and low field emission in high gradient SRF structures
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of SRF ISO 3/4/5 cleanroom environments
- Experience with RF test instruments (network analyzer, spectrum analyzer, TDR, etc.)
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with a diverse group of physicists, engineers and technicians to advance and achieve the goals of the RF Group and the Collider-Accelerator Department
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to write code in a high level language (Python, Julia, Fortran, C) to assist in modeling, simulation and analysis of RF and accelerator physics problems
- Experience with estimating resource requirements and schedules for accelerator projects
- Experience preparing and presenting material for formal design, cost and schedule reviews
- Experience in mentoring scientists, engineers and technicians to assist in their career development
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor