Accelerator OperatorsJob ID 1844 Date posted 08/09/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
BNL’s Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) seeks Accelerator Operators to participate in the operation and troubleshooting of the suite of particle accelerators that make up the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC) and the NASA Space Radiation Laboratory.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Diagnose and correct suboptimal accelerator performance
- Operate and maintain accelerators in accordance with the C-AD Conduct of Operations
- Complete technical and research projects for C-AD
- Collaborate with on-shift Accelerator Physicists
- Act as liaison to staff and users
- Respond to emergency situations, alarms, or occurrences in an appropriate manner
- Identify hazards, environmental concerns and unsafe conditions or practices and implement or suggest controls to minimize risks
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Physics or related fields
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Problem identification, analysis and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative and "fast-paced" environment
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A concentration or coursework in Electricity and Magnetism, Optics, Classical Mechanics, Accelerator Physics, High Energy Physics, and Astronomy
- Experience in high power pulsed power supplies, digital electronics, computer controls and programming, as well as laboratory test and measurement techniques
- Relevant work experience in a laboratory setting
- Ability to work shifts and irregular hours
- Valid Driver license and the ability to drive a laboratory vehicle
- Ability to climb heights above six feet using a ladder
- Physical coordination and balance
- Vision, normal color
- Ability to hear alarms
- Skipped or irregular meals
- Alertness or vigilance
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file